This case is of a Maths school teacher teaching for 8th-10th standard. In 2008, at the age of 42 years, he fell into a 40ft well. This fall changed the whole event of his life.
He became paralyzed below waist. He lost all sensation in his legs, including all control in bowel & bladder sensations. When he was taken to the hospital and examined, it was found that the spinal cord was partially damaged; the lower vertebrae bone at D12 level has broken. He underwent surgery for spine stabilization. The surgery helped him recover partially. There was some sensation in the upper thigh as well as pain sensations around the hip joint.
After undergoing rehabilitation, his strength improved vastly. He could get up from the bed on his own. However, he could not transfer his body weight from one position to the other. Standing up on his feet became impossible. For bowel and bladder, a condom catheter had to be used. Over a period of time, he also developed Myositis Ossificans on the left side.
He had to stop teaching. He lost his motivation and direction in life. He began to live aimlessly, trying to cope with the drastic change in his life.
Until, one day he came across stem cell therapy for spinal cord injury while browsing the internet. On further research, he discovered that stem cell therapy followed by rehabilitation has helped many people who were facing similar situations. After consulting the doctors at NeuroGen, he learnt that there was a chance for him to get cured with no major side effects. He decided to undergo therapy.
The doctors and therapists carefully studied his condition before proceeding with the therapy. An MRI scan was carried out. It showed full thickness myelomalacia at D11-L1. An EMG investigation showed evidence of active and severe motor degeneration affecting the bilateral L12345 S1 and right L1 fibers.
Improvements seen in the patient post Stem Cell Therapy
He underwent stem cell therapy and one week of intensive rehabilitation. This boosted his stamina.
- He was able to sit statically with better balance in one week.
- His hip joint mobility and strength improved, enabling him to independently transfer his body weight from wheelchair to the bed and back.
The patient visited the centre again after three months for his post stem cell therapy evaluation. The improvements noted in the patient were as follows
- His tendency to lean towards the left side improved, he could balance himself in the centre while sitting.
- He could tolerate to sit for longer hours and he could sit without support and for longer periods of time while travelling.
- He was able to transfer to the same level and even ground level with the wheelchair.
- He required minimum support while transferring weight in the toilet.
- His left hip ROM, which was earlier restricted in 10 flex positions because of Myostis Ossificans, could come to neutral position.
- On evaluation on MMT, his hip muscles improved from Grade 2+ to Grade 2++ and hip adductors muscles improved from Grade 1+ to Grade 1++.
- His upper limbs also became stronger and helped in transferring.
- He began to ambulate with the help of elbow crutches Slowly, he made an effort to climb the stairs all by himself
- His bladder control recovered partially.
- Condom catheter was removed and shifted to intermittent catheterization.
- He could sense movement of the catheter and could voluntarily empty his bladder using pressure with only 10 ml residual urine remaining in the bladder.
- Sensations in lower parts of the body saw an improvisation.
- He could feel burning and tingling sensations around the tip of penis, foot and anal region.
- His erection activity improved in terms of strength & time of erection and feeling of stroking. There was positive development in intercourse ability.
His Functional Independence Measure (FIM) increased from 73 to 113 in 3 months.
The patient visited the centre again after six months for his post stem cell therapy evaluation. The improvements noted in the patient were as follows
After six months into stem cell therapy and ongoing rehabilitation, and support from elbow crutches, he could walk independently and could climb stairs with the help of side railings.
- His bladder control improved further and he could pass urine on his own.
- He was also able to remove the residual 100 cc through self intermittent catheterization.
- His sexual ability became better and he could maintain erection an extended period of time.
- He regained enough functional ability and confidence to be able to ride a hand operated motorbike.
- He started teaching again.
- His dedication and determination together with the care of doctors helped him reclaim the will and the subsequent ability to live a purposeful life.
Stem cell therapy gave him the means to do it and rehabilitation gave him the strength to do it. To conclude, stem cell therapy and rehab generates a new hope in people that they can better their life for the better. It offers all the remedial solutions that patients are seeking.
What the patient’s parents have to say?
“My son is a fighter and I know that he will come out of this struggle triumphantly. It is because of his sheer willpower that also gave us the positive energy and led to believe that he can get better. Within a short period of time, his body saw marked improvements in many areas. His bladder control saw an improvement and he could pass urine independently. The best thing that we witnessed is, he is back to teaching again. This is not to forget that all the doctors at NeuroGen fought this battle to recovery with our son. We are thankful to everyone who has helped our son stand up on his own feet.”