The patient was a farmer by profession but he came from an entrepreneurial background. His family ran multiple businesses of farming, tractor dealership and renting, poultry, etc. He lived a normal, healthy life.
When he reached 27 years, he started experiencing numbness in the left hand and leg as well as right side of the head. On consultation with a neurosurgeon, examinations were carried forward which revealed that the vertebrae of the neck were joined to each other. This occurrence took place since birth. He also had a non-growing swelling kind of lesion around the neck region. After a period of just two months into his marriage, he underwent surgery to ease the firmness on the vertebrae and drain out the swelling. Although the surgery was successful, it left him completely paralyzed from the upper chest region. All his four limbs and trunk got affected. His life had taken a complete turn. For two years he was completely bed-ridden and had lost all hope of recovery.
He heard about stem cell therapy and came to NeuroGen Brain and Spine Institute and his hope was restored. Even the senior therapists at NeuroGen were doubtful of his recovery but his sheer willpower and faith served its purpose.
During the assessment, it was reported that his muscle tone in both the legs was high which made the body very rigid. There was no sensation below the chest. The lower limbs were more severely affected than the upper limbs. He had a constant indwelling catheter as there was no bowel and bladder sensation. With practically no sensation in any of the four limbs, he became dependent on caretakers for all his daily activities.
Improvements seen in the patient post Stem Cell Therapy
The stem cell therapy together with rehabilitation worked wonderfully in improving his condition.
- The tightness in the muscles reduced miraculously.
- The constant bend in his elbow relaxed and he was able to stretch his arm.
- He was able to lift the arms and started performing overhead activities.
- His limbs became strong enough to help him get up from lying position on his own, with minimal assistance.
- He started sitting without support for longer periods of time.
- He started walking with calipers and a walker with minimum assistance.
The patient visited the centre again after six months for his post stem cell therapy evaluation. The improvements noted in the patient were as follows
- He developed movements around the shoulder and elbow especially the triceps.
- His wrist became stronger than before.
- His sitting balance improved in spite of developing abdominal contraction.
- He was able to feel heavy sensation in the bladder.
- He started doing the CSIC every 4 hours and could shift from indwelling catheter to CSIC after 3 years.
- He slowly started standing independently for a few minutes.
- He could perform activities like upper body dressing, brushing teeth, eating and drinking more easily than before and could perform them independently for the first time after three years.
Once he was moved to the wheelchair, he started moving it around on his own. With an increased strength in his arm, he started maneuvering the wheelchair around the whole house, including the bathroom. His movements on both the sides of lower limbs started developing especially on the right side of hip flexors and quadriceps.
Stem cell therapy had improved his condition to greater heights. In spite of his disabilities he is determined to bring his life back to normal. He has taken up a gas agency dealing, as well as poultry farming. With repeated treatment, his incapability has reduced significantly and has given him a new leash of life.
What the patient’s parents have to say?
“Seeing his own motivation and enthusiasm, we are confident today that our son will be better soon. Once he was moved to the wheelchair, he was able to start moving around on his own. The strength in his arms is also getting restored with time, so this way he is able to maneuver the wheelchair around the whole house, including the bathroom. His movements on both the sides of lower limbs started developing especially on the right side of hip flexors and quadriceps. Stem cell therapy has indeed improved his condition to greater heights. In spite of his disabilities he is determined to bring his life back to normal. He has taken up a gas agency dealing, as well as poultry farming. With repeated treatment, his incapability has reduced significantly and has given him a new leash of life.